Consumers are paying more attention to ingredients used in their chosen beauty products. Majority of consumers desire to understand the added value and benefits behind all the ingredients used in their respective beauty care routine. Modern consumers want to know about the certifications and ingredients about the product and the brand. They are more inclined towards analyzing the ingredients used in the process.
Natural, Organic, Clean and sustainable beauty products are all around the globe lately. To ensure their quality, certification is necessary. Certification authenticates the quality of the product and its impact on the environment. Organic products are certified from global organizations like Biocert, Nature and Ecocert.
There is presently no legislation for organic cosmetics which aids that a company can characterize its product as organic regardless of how the product was made or how much organic material it has. But, there are certain certification programs to provide authorization to the organic products. Read below for better understanding.
Biocert Organic is well acknowledged certification in India and International market. As many certifications, Biocerts also ensures only plant derived products without the involvement of parabens, phthalates, petrochemicals, aluminium salts and petrochemicals which causes destruction to the skin and health.
Natrue ( The international natural and organic cosmetic association) is a Belgium based organisation, founded in 2007 which provides assurance to the beauty products fit to be the best natural and organic products. The benefits of this certification can only be applied to finished goods, raw materials and formulas. The natrue’s label is recognized as ‘SGL SOLUTION’ which signifies all natural and organic products. Also, helps the manufacturers to identify their products in the competing markets.
Ecocert COSMOS certification for organic and natural cosmetics.
Cosmos stands for ‘Cosmetic Organic and Natural Standard’. Cosmos certification uses the principles of Ecocert that constructs the criteria that all the companies producing organic and natural cosmetic products must ensure consumers that their merchandises are genuine, organic and natural.
Ecocert is the first international certification body which was introduced in France and has been recognized all over the world now. This certification authority was founded in 1991, based in Europe and constructs inspections in about 80 countries. It is one of the largest organic certification organisations in the world. The products certified by Ecocert come with an assurance of quality and purity. They are well known for their supreme quality of organic ingredients.
Why do you need COSMOS certification?
Having your products organically certified disseminates transparency and credibility to your customers. This certificate acts like a statute of approval about the products that have passed a variety of terms and conditions in order to pass the certification specifications. If any brand carries a certificate regarding their products this can help customers to trust the products. It is the tightest and strictest regulatory standards for organic products.
Terms and conditions for the products that can be certified under Ecocert COSMOS are as follows:
While manufacturing the organic and natural products it is mandatory to check about the requirement of certification bodies for green light. Following are the terms and conditions that a brand needs to follow for getting certified :
- Products should accommodate a minimum 95% of the plants to be considered as organic.
- At least 20% should be cited in the total formula.
- Absence of parabens, silicons, synthetic fragrance and animal derived ingredients.
Please take heed : Water or minerals are not regarded as organic since they are not derived from agriculture. Water is a leading component involved in manufacturing of various cosmetic formulas, it signifies a dilution of the proportion of organic ingredients out of the total product. Hence, the massage oil that doesn’t contain water which may demonstrate upto 100% of organic ingredients.
How to identify an Ecocert certified product ?
Reading a label is the most effective way to give the important information to the user. It allows the customer to see what is in the product they are using. You can find your type of ecocert product by reading the label and find one of the following. Ways to identify an Ecocert products are as follows:
- The product should have “certified by Ecocert” written on it.
- The Ecocert Certification Logo
- The name of the standard.
What is the process of getting your product certified at Ecocert?
To get your product certified at Ecocert COSMOS, you have to go through 5 steps.
- Request : Ecocert advises you to get the label best suited to your needs and the product.
- Contract : This is the key step of this process wherein Ecocert team provides you a contract and the parties have to sign the agreement which presents that you are agreeing to the terms and conditions provided by Ecocert team. This contract serves as a record of commitments for both the parties.
- Initial Audit : In this stage, Ecocert’s auditors make visits on site to check the agreement, your practices, your products with analogous standards. It allows the process to be demanded as per their suitability and relevance.
- Certification file Analysis : This is the second last stage for the certification in which Ecocert’s certification officers review the end result of the audit report to decide if the company is eligible for this certificate or not.
- Certification : That’s the finale round. At this point, you are eligible to display the logo correlated with the standards on your labels with a transparent communication.
The process of achieving certification is monotonous. It can take several months depending upon the intricacies of the products and the manufacturing mechanism. There is a common fee rule that applies to all the products and ingredients which are charged by certification bodies.
Additionally, Ecocert certification guarantees that product, packaging and production are entirely environmentally-friendly. Whatever brand is getting certification from Ecocert solely promotes and offers sustainable certified organic, pure and healthy beauty products. There are various other manufacturing bodies, manufactures and suppliers should make a decision of choosing the body according to the preference and needs.